b. November 3, 1949
Chicago, 25th Ward Alderman (1996-)
Chicago, 25th Democratic Committeeman (1996-)
Daniel (Danny) S. Solis was appointed by Mayor Richard M. Daley in 1996 to replace Ambrosio Medrano, who was convicted for accepting bribes as part of the federal Silver Shovel Investigation. Solis’ sister, Patti Solis Doyle, managed then-U.S. Senator Hillary Clinton's 2008 presidential campaign. Alderman Solis was a member of Senator Clinton's Illinois Steering Committee.
Solis got his start in politics as a community organizer and co-founder and Executive Director of the United Neighborhood Organization (UNO). Born in Monterrey, Mexico and raised in the U.S. by Mexican immigrants, Solis helped make UNO the most significant Latino political group in the city.
Solis became an unwavering ally of Mayor Richard M. Daley, and in 2001, was appointed President Pro Tempore of the City Council. But Solis' tight alliance with Mayor Daley did not make his 2007 reelection easy. Eight 25th Ward voters filed a lawsuit alleging that Chicago election officials should have tallied their votes for former Ald. Ambrosio Medrano (who was running for reelection) in an attempt to force a runoff between Solis and the second highest vote getter, Cuahutemoc Morfin.
An avowed Solis opponent, Morfin was endorsed by Medrano for the runoff. The 178 cancelled votes for Medrano would have brought Solis' vote total to 49.95%, forcing a runoff election. As a result of the suit, the Illinois Supreme Court ruled that Medrano couldn’t be a candidate for City Council because he is a convicted politician. Chicago election officials then reported a six-vote majority for Solis, negating a runoff election.
Today, Solis chairs the powerful Zoning Committee and is a prodigious fundraiser, but he still faced difficult reelection campaigns in 2011 and 2015. In 2011 he was forced to a second runoff against Morfin and narrowly avoided a runoff in 2015. The election of progressive Rep. Theresa Mah, who's district overlays much of the 25th Ward, is a serious threat to Solis, since she is the first non-regular Democrat to win an election in Chinatown, the key to Solis' wins in 2011 and 2015. He is expected to get a serious challenger in 2019, maybe Theresa Mah herself.
Current Chicago City Council Committees:
- Committee on Aviation
- Committee on Budget and Government Operations
- Committee on Committees, Rules and Ethics
- Committee on Education and Child Development
- Committee on Finance
- Committee on Human Relations
- Committee on Public Safety
- Committee on Workforce Development and Audit
- Committee on Zoning, Landmarks and Building Standards, Chair
Important Political Events
- 1996, Appointed 25th Ward Alderman by Mayor Richard M. Daley, replacing Ambrosio Medrano
- 1996, Appointed 25th Ward Democratic Committeemen by Ward Precinct Captains, replacing Ambrosio Medrano
- 2000, Elected 25th Ward Democratic Committeeman
- 2003, Reelected 25th Ward Alderman, defeating Ambrosio Medrano
- 2007, Reelected 25th Ward Alderman, defeating six candidates, including Cuahutemoc Morfin
- 2011, Reelected 25th Ward Alderman, defeating Cuahutemoc Morfin in runoff
Chicago Politics: Ward by Ward, David K. Fremon, 1989.