b. September 6, 1941
Chicago, 29th Ward Alderman (1979-1990)
Cook County, Commissioner (1990-1996)
U.S. Congress, 7th Congressional District (1996-)
Illinois, 7th Congressional District Democratic Committeeman (1992-)
Employment and Electoral History
Clerk, Chicago, Ill., Post Office, 1961-1965; teacher, Chicago Public Schools, 1962-1968; executive director, Greater Lawndale Conservation Commission, 1969; director of training, Martin L. King Neighborhood Health Center, 1969-1971; executive director, Westside Health Center, 1975-1981
- 1961, Arkansas AM&N College, B.A.
- 1968, Chicago State University, M.S.
- 1977, Union Institute & University in Cincinnati, Ohio, Ph.D.
Important Political Events
- 1979, Elected 29th Ward Alderman, defeating Le Roy Cross
- 1984, Elected 29th Ward Democratic Committeeman, defeating Iola McGowan
- 1990, Defeated for Cook County Treasurer by Democrat Edward Rosewell
- 1991, Defeated for Chicago Mayor by Richard M. Daley
- 1992, Elected 7th District State Central Democratic Committeeman, defeating Ed Smith
- 1994, Defeated for U.S. Congress, 7th District by Cardiss Collins
- 1996, Elected to U.S. Congress, 7th District, defeating Ed Smith, Wallace Davis and Dorothy Tillman
- 1998, Elected 7th District State Central Democratic Committeeman, defeating Ed Smith