Chicago, 50th Ward Alderman (2011-)
Debra Silverstein, ascended to alderman as the result of a slow decline of the once-mighty Ald. Bernie Stone, Vice Mayor and 38-year veteran of City Council. Silverstein’s husband, State Senator and State Central Democratic Committeeman Ira Silverstein, had long been at loggerheads with Stone in the tight knit North Side Orthodox Jewish community. But after a close runoff election in 2007, Stone was clearly vulnerable and the Silversteins put an end to Stone’s career at the next opportunity.
Silverstein’s ward, a mix of Orthodox Jews and a vibrant Indo-Pakistani community, is considerably more conservative than most of the city. Most of her concerns are with city services and she serves as a steady supporter of the Mayor’s policies.
Current Chicago City Council Committees:
- Committee on Budget and Government Operations
- Committee on Committees, Rules and Ethics
- Committee on Finance
- Committee on License and Consumer Protection, Vice Chair
- Committee on Pedestrian and Traffic Safety
- Committee on Public Safety
- Committee on Special Events, Cultural Affairs and Recreation
- Committee on Workforce Development and Audit
Important Political Events
- 2011, Elected 50th Ward Alderman, defeating Ald. Bernie Stone