b. September 3, 1934 – d. January 19, 2008
Chicago Mayor (1987-1989)
Chicago, 6th Ward Alderman (1971-1987)
Chicago, 6th Ward Democratic Committeeman (1968-1992)
Clout and Influence
Employment and Electoral History
Teacher for one year in Mississippi. He spent two years working for Rockford Sprinklers before being hired at a South Side water filtration plant in 1959 as a lab technician.
Following his term as mayor, Sawyer and his friend, businessman Charles Harrison, III, partnered to form CEI International, a reseller of natural gas and other fuels. He served as vice president of the company until 1997.
- 1956, Alabama State University, B.S., Secondary Education
Important Political Events
- 1968, Appointed 6th Ward Democratic Committeeman by ward precinct captains, replacing Robert Miller
- 1971, Elected 6th Ward Alderman, defeating A.A. "Sammy" Rayner
- 1987, Appointed Acting Mayor of Chicago by City Council, replacing Harold Washington
- 1989, Defeated for Chicago Mayor by Richard M. Daley
Chicago Politics Ward by Ward, David K. Fremon