Chicago, 7th Ward Alderman (2015-)
Chicago, 7th Ward Democratic Committeeman (2016-)
A former financial analyst who ran a mostly self-funded campaign, Gregory Mitchell was 44 when he pushed through a crowded field of candidates and defeated incumbent Natashia Holmes in a runoff. Holmes was appointed by Mayor Rahm Emanuel in 2013 to fill the seat vacated by Sandi Jackson after she resigned from the Council the same time her husband, Cong. Jesse Jackson, Jr. was being investigated for tax fraud.
Mitchell has kept a low profile in Council during his first term, making few public statements and assiduously avoiding the press. He has forged close working relationships with his veteran neighbor aldermen, Michelle Harris (8) and Anthony Beale (9).
Born on the Southeast Side of Chicago, Mitchell is a lifelong resident of the 7th Ward. He made his first attempt at the seat in 2011, obtaining a third place finish.
Current Chicago City Council Committees:
- Committee on Budget and Government Operations
- Committee on Committees, Rules and Ethics
- Committee on Economic, Capital and Technology Development
- Committee on Finance
- Committee on Housing and Real Estate
- Committee on License and Consumer Protection
- Committee on Public Safety
Important Political Events
- 2011, Defeated for 7th Ward Alderman by Natashia Holmes
- 2015, Elected 7th Ward Alderman, in runoff defeating Ald. Natashia Holmes
- 2016, Elected 7th Ward Democratic Committeeman, unopposed, replacing Natashia Holmes