Chicago, 48th Ward Alderman (2011-)
Illinois, State Representative (2000-2011)
A state representative for 11 years before coming alderman, Harry Osterman, is the son of the late Kathy Osterman, a Daley-era Director of Special Events and popular local political organizer. Harry took his City Council seat with 81% of the vote in 2011 when his predecessor, Mary Ann Smith (also a Kathy Osterman protegé) retired. In 2015 he ran unopposed when no other candidates filed to run against him.
A well-known progressive in the Illinois legislature, Harry Osterman is a good government Democrat who has been considerably quieter in City Council than as a state representative. He and his ward committeeman, Carol Ronen, supported Mayor Rahm Emanuel in the 2015 campaign.
Current Chicago City Council Committees:
- Committee on Committees, Rules and Ethics
- Committee on Education and Child Development
- Committee on Finance
- Committee on Health and Environmental Protection
- Committee on Public Safety
Important Political Events
- 2000, Appointed State Representative by Ward Committeeman, replacing Carol Ronen
- 2011, Elected 48th Ward Alderman, replacing Mary Ann Smith
- 2011, Retired as State Representative, replaced by Kelly Cassidy