Chicago, 1st Ward Alderman (2010-)
Chicago, 1st Ward Democratic Committeeman (2012-)
Before Ald. Proco “Joe” Moreno was appointed to the Council in 2010 by Mayor Richard M. Daley to replace Manuel Flores–who resigned to chair the Illinois Commerce Commission–Moreno was the Vice President of Buhl Press Inc., a digital design and printing company, and a leader of the Metropolitan Leadership Institute of the United Neighborhood Organization. Moreno handily won his first election to the 1st Ward seat in 2011 receiving 74% of vote, but he narrowly avoided a runoff in 2015.
Originally from Moline, Illinois, Moreno moved to Wicker Park after completing his Bachelor’s Degree in business and art at Augustana College in 1994. He also has a M.B.A. from DePaul University. Moreno’s first attempt at public office was in 2008 when he ran and lost the District 1 Illinois State Senate seat to Willie Delgado.
Moreno voted against the creation of a Legislative Inspector General, he believes TIF funds have been grossly abused, he supports high rise development coupled with affordable housing, and, once, in 2012, Moreno made national headlines when he tried to block a Chick-fil-A from opening a store in Logan Square because of the company’s opposition to gay marriage.
A sharp dresser and with a penchant big speeches in Council meetings, Moreno has had many scrapes with fellow Latino politicians, especially Cook County Democratic Chairman Joseph Berrios. Their enmity came to a head in the 2016 1st Ward Democratic Committeeman race, when Berrios supported public defender Maria Teresa Gonzalez' challenge to Moreno's seat. While Moreno had avoided a run-off for Alderman in 2015, in his 2016 race, he won by a mere 199 votes. It seems likely that Gonzalez will run for Moreno's alderman seat in 2019.
In late November 2017, Moreno entered the fray to replace Congressman Luis Gutierrez. While laying low in the early days before the primary, Moreno said he expected to receive $1 million in super PAC help.
Current Chicago City Council Committees:
- Committee on Committees, Rules and Ethics
- Committee on Economic, Capital and Technology Development, Chair
- Committee on Finance
- Committee on Health and Environmental Protection
- Committee on Special Events, Cultural Affairs and Recreation
- Committee on Zoning, Landmarks and Building Standards
Originally from Moline, Illinois, Moreno moved to Wicker Park after completing his Bachelor’s Degree in business and art at Augustana College in 1994. He also has a M.B.A. from DePaul University.
Important Political Events
- 2008, Defeated for State Senator, by William Delgado
- 2010, Appointed 1st Ward Alderman, by Mayor Richard M. Daley, replacing Manuel Flores
- 2012, Elected 1st Ward Committeeman, replacing Manuel Flores
- 2016, Reelected 1st Ward Committeeman, defeating Maria Teresa Gonzalez
- 2017, Announced intention to run for 4th Congressional district to replace Luis Gutierrez