b. February 13, 1923 - d. January 2, 2002
Chicago Mayor (1976-1979)
Illinois, Judge, Appellate Court (1984-1990)
Illinois, Chief Justice, Supreme Court (1994-1996)
Illinois, Justice, Supreme Court (1990-1993, 1997-2000)
Chicago, 11th Ward Alderman (1969-1976)
Clout and Influence
Employment and Electoral History
Served in the South Pacific in the Marine Corps during World War II. After law school worked in law firm Anixter, Delaney, Bilandic & Piggott, becoming senior partner.
- De La Salle High School
- St. Mary's University of Minnesota, B.A.
- DePaul University Law School, J.D.
Important Political Events
- 1969, Elected 11th Ward Alderman
- 1974, Appointed City Council Finance Committee Chairman, replacing Thomas Keane
- 1976, Appointed Acting Mayor by City Council, replacing Richard J. Daley
- 1977, Elected Chicago Mayor
- 1979, Defeated for Chicago Mayor by Jane Byrne
- 1984, Elected Illinois Appellate Court Judge
- 1990, Elected Illinois Supreme Court Justice
- 1994, Appointed Illinois Supreme Court Chief Justice by Illinois Supreme Court
- 1997, Steps down to Illinois Supreme Court Justice when a Republican majority is elected on Supreme Court
- 2000, Retires from Illinois Supreme Court