Chicago, 38th Ward Alderman (2015-)
Chicago, 38th Ward Democratic Committeeman (2016-2017)
Chicago, 36th Ward Alderman (2011-2015)
Chicago, 36th Ward Democratic Committeeman (2012-2015)
A lifelong Northwest Side resident, a former UPS driver and a firefighter for 18 years, Nicholas Sposato, upset Mayor Rahm Emanuel’s and former Alderman William Banks’ 36th Ward pick in 2011: appointed Alderman John Rice. In 2015, Sposato did it again, defeating 38th Ward Alderman Timothy Cullerton’s pick, Heather Sattler. Sposato was supported by the Service Employees International Union and the Chicago Teachers Union in 2015.
Sposato, originally the 36th Ward alderman, was redistricted into the 38th following the 2014 remap. Sposato suffers from Multiple Sclerosis, which he admitted limited him from vigorous door-to-door campaigning in 2015. Since the start of the 2015 term, Sposato began primarily navigating City Hall in a wheelchair.
He was once a member of the Progressive Caucus, but he left the organization in spring 2017 after disagreeing the group on gay rights and other social issues, though members said they expected to still work with Sposato, particularly on labor issues. He similarly stepped down from his position as 38th Ward Democratic Committeeman, saying he did not identify strongly with the party and considered himself the most conservative member of the City Council. He was replaced by state Rep. Robert Martwick, Jr..
Current Chicago City Council Committees:
- Committee on Aviation, Vice Chair
- Committee on Budget and Government Operations
- Committee on Committees, Rules and Ethics
- Committee on Finance
- Committee on Public Safety
- Committee on Special Events, Cultural Affairs and Recreation
Important Political Events
- 2011, Elected 36th Ward Alderman, defeating Ald. John Rice
- 2012, Elected 36th Ward Democratic Committeeman, defeating Laurence Andolino, replacing William Banks
- 2015, Elected 38th Ward Alderman, replacing Ald. Timothy Cullerton
- 2015, Stepped down as 36th Ward Democratic Committeeman, replaced by Luis Arroyo
- 2016, Appointed 38th Ward Democratic Committeeman by Cook County Democratic Party, replacing Patricia Cullerton
- 2017, Stepped down as 38th Ward Democratic Committeeman, replaced by Robert Martwick, Jr.