b. June 23, 1970
Chicago, 32nd Ward Alderman (2007- )
Chicago, 32nd Ward Democratic Committeeman (2012-)
A lifetime Bucktown resident, Scott Waguespack served in the Peace Corps in Kenya after law school, and went on to several jobs involving global issues, including a seat on the Chicago Council of Global Affairs.
Coming back to Chicago, Waguespack worked as campaign manager and Chief of Staff for Berwyn Mayor Michael O’Connor in 2005. Later, after he was elected alderman, he helped John Fritchey win his seat as 32nd Ward Democratic Committeeman in 2008, replacing Dan Rostenkowski-era holdover Theris Gabinski. Since then, Fritchey and Waguespack had a falling out, which has never been completely patched up. Fritchey resigned the committeeman post in 2012, a few weeks before election day, which Waguespack then won unopposed.
In 2015, Waguespack had one of the highest leads in contested aldermanic races, topping his challenger, Elise Doody-Jones, with about 79 percent of the vote.
A member of the Progressive Caucus, Waguespack is a darling of Chicago's good-government set, and regularly mentioned as a possible mayoral candidate. But his distain for fundraising makes going for the 5th Floor a difficult prospect.
He has a Political Science degree from Colorado State University and a Juris Doctor from Chicago-Kent College of Law.
Current Chicago City Council Committees:
- Committee on Budget and Government Relations
- Committee on Committees, Rules and Ethics
- Committee on Education and Child Development
- Committee on Finance
- Committee on Human Relations
- Committee on License and Consumer Protection
- Committee on Special Events, Cultural Affairs and Recreation
- Colorado State, B.A., Political Science
- Chicago-Kent College of Law, J.D.
Important Political Events
- 2005, Managed Independent Mike O'Connor's successful election to Berwyn Mayor
- 2007, Elected 32nd Ward Alderman, defeating Theodore Matlak in a runoff
- 2008, Assisted John Fritchey's win for 32nd Ward Democratic Committeeman, replacing Theris Gabinski
- 2012, Elected 32nd Ward Democratic Committeeman unopposed, replacing John Fritchey