b. May 13, 1972
Illinois, Comptroller (2016-)
Chicago City Clerk (2011-2016)
Illinois, State Representative (2001-2011)
While she was born into Little Village, Mendoza's parents moved to Bolingbrook when she was seven years old, where she grew up and attended Bolingbrook High School.
Her first political work began for State Rep. Ray Frias, shortly before he was indicted in 1997 as part of the Silver Shovel Investigation. While Frias was ultimately acquitted, he left political office for good, instead recommending Mendoza for the State Rep. spot to his political patron, Ald. Edward Burke. With the backing of Burke and the Hispanic Democratic Organization Mendoza ran in 1998, but narrowly lost by 30 votes to Sonia Silva, a protege of independents Jesus "Chuy" Garcia and Ald. Ricardo Munoz. She tried again two years later and this time won the seat she kept for 11 years.
As a state legislator Mendoza was a good soldier, since it's difficult to stand out much in a House Democratic Caucus dominated by Speaker Michael Madigan. Then, when City Clerk Miguel del Valle left office to run for mayor in 2011, Mendoza saw her chance, and with the support of her patron Edward Burke and ran for Clerk. Following Chicago's ethic politics, the Clerk is often considered a "Latino" slot, and since running a Clerk campaign is prohibitively expensive without the support of Democratic Ward Committeemen across the city, Mendoza's support from Democratic Party honcho Ed Burke, as well as backing from his many donors, made her victory a slam dunk in 2011 and again in 2015 (when she ran unopposed).
- 1994, Truman State University, B.A. Business Administration
Important Political Events
- 1998, Defeated for State Representative by Sonia Silva
- 2000, Elected State Representative, defeating incumbent Sonia Silva
- 2011, Elected Chicago City Clerk unopposed, replacing Miguel del Valle
- 2015, Reelected Chicago City Clerk unopposed
- 2016, Elected Illinois State Comptroller, defeating Leslie Munger in general election
- 2016, Retired as Chicago City Clerk, replaced by Anna Valencia