b. August 28, 1951
Chicago, 26th Ward Alderman (2009-)
Chicago, 26th Ward Democratic Committeeman (1994-)
Cook County, 8th District Commissioner (1994-2009)
Originally appointed by Mayor Richard M. Daley in July 2009 to fill retiring-Ald. Billy Ocasio’s vacant seat, 26th Ward Ald. Roberto Maldonado, has been a psychologist, Cook County Commissioner, campaign manager, real estate investor and alderman.
After getting his psychology degree from the University of Puerto Rico, Maldonado came to Chicago in his late 20s to get his Doctorate at Loyola University. While studying at Loyola, he served as a psychologist with Chicago Public Schools and became politically active in Harold Washington’s successful campaign for mayor in 1983, leading to Maldonado working in the Mayor's Office of Training and Education. He later resigned that position after a Sun Times investigation found that most of the office's purchasing went to allies of Cong. Gutierrez, who were then solicited for campaign contributions for Gutierrez.
Maldonado ties to Gutierrez run deep. He served as his aldermanic and Congressional campaign manager, and was briefly married to his sister.
Maldonado was elected three times as Cook County Commissioner for the 8th District, and eventually became the 26th Ward Democratic Committeeman in 2000. In 2011, he won election in his own right with one of the largest margins of victory of any alderman on the City Council (82.6%-17.8%). A busy real estate investor since 1982, Maldonado, at one time, owned more properties than any other sitting alderman.
In 2015, Maldonado narrowly avoided a runoff election, garnering 52% against two other candidates including Juanita Irizarry, who is now President of Friends of the Parks. Maldonado is expected to garner another set of strong challengers in 2019.
Chicago City Council Committees:
- Committee on Aviation
- Committee on Committees, Rules and Ethics
- Committee on Education and Child Development
- Committee on Finance
- Committee on License and Consumer Protection
- Committee on Workforce Development and Audit, Vice Chair
- University of Puerto Rico, B.S. Clinical Psychology
- University of Puerto Rico, M.S. Clinical Psychology
- Loyola University Chicago, Ph.D. Clinical Psychology
Important Political Events
- 2015, Re-elected 26th Ward Alderman, defeating Juanita Irizarry
- 2009, Appointed 26th Ward Alderman by Mayor Richard M. Daley replacing William Ocasio
- 1994, Elected Cook County Commissioner 8th District, replacing Mario Moreno
- 1994, Appointed 26th Ward Democratic Committeeman, replacing Luis Gutierrez
http://www.robertomaldonado.com/english/show_page.php?id=1 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roberto_Maldonado http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/roberto-maldonado-the-real-estate-king-of-the-chicago-city-council/Content?oid=1180874